Frankfurt

Frankfurt

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kitzbuhel, Austria

DSC_0056The charming town of Kitzbuhel, Austria, is located about 2 hours from Munich and boasts ski-worthy mountains for Olympic training.  In the summer, it turns into a colorful, quaint downtown area for relaxing weekend getaways and good food.   Imagine my surprise when "let's go for a birthday* brunch*" meant having brunch in this beautiful part of the world. I was of course delighted, and all the more so when we pulled up to a hotel that we would be staying in over night.
As we checked in, we were told about the hotel's many sauna's, steam DSC_0027rooms, and a pool, which transitioned from indoor to outdoor.  This was no ordinary hotel, but an Austrian-German special, designed for our relaxation.  There was even a "Quiet Room" where you could lay down and sleep, with several strangers close by.**
After having the best pizza ever (is there a better food?) DSC_0022and walking around the churches, hills and town square, we decided to check out the pool and spa.  The pool was large, with a skylight above, which flooded the room in light. The far wall was made of glass, and as you swam toward it, a portion of it would open for you, automatically, like a fancy doggy door for humans.  In water. Well, most of the time it would open; one of us may or may not have swam straight into the door when it was, apparently, feeling momentarily sluggish. Transitioning from the indoor pool to the outside, the temperature of the pool became warmer, to help the swimmer deal with cool air.  The surroundings were high with mountains, and, in front of the pool, a smooth green golf course sprawled out, dotted in the distance with women and men in argyle.***DSC_0031
When we had finished with the pool, it was on to the spa. There were 5 or 6 steam rooms, all with something slightly different to help your mind and body relax, such as: (1) various colors fading one into the other (which I actually loved, and reminded me a bit of a disco club…which actually got me a little bit excited as opposed to relaxed!), (2) crystals behind and in front of you, which I personally think is ridiculous, (3) a few graduated-temperature steam rooms, (4) a black steam room, which was not quite pitch black inside...sort of like suffocating, but intended for your relaxation.Craggy Alps
Just as you are sitting there, ready to relax, soaking in the heat, in comes a naked person or two.  When they walk in, and you are sitting down, the first thing you see may not be as exciting as you think.  Most naked people, in my newfound European experience, are nothing to sing about.  I really don't know what the craze is all about.  It's definitely not sexy, rarely anything you want to see, and most likely wish you hadn't. On top of it all, there is no shame.   They are just relaxing, German-style.    That's all I'm gonna say about that (and aren’t you glad!).  But if you think it’s uncomfortable just reading about it, may I suggest you take your relaxation trips elsewhere. 
DSC_0147
Having better luck with the restaurant recommendation, we happened upon a wedding reception taking place at this mom & pop-run Austrian special, located high in the Alps, and overlooking the surrounding area. The food was great and the scenery even better.  Check out the greeters in Lederhosen and DirndlDSC_0140
We took a trip in a cable car (I think my hubby secretly loves them....he always wants to go, any time we see one) up the Kitzbuhel Horn Gondola, and found this teeny tiny chapel at the top, surrounded in snow.  DSC_0195
To see more pictures, click here:  (This is what I want to do. But I don’t know how.  Can anyone fix me up?)





* I love my birthday!
** Isn’t this counter-intuitive? After all, isn’t your very own, private room just down the hallway?  I mean, why hang out and sleep near strangers.  I don’t get it.  Maybe this is for parents, but why would you  bring your kids here? 
***This is a stereotype I have of golfers. Sorry golfers.  But I also think you have to wear white. This stereotype was only more confirmed during my stay, as the pro-shop was full of white, argyle, and the obligatory European bright red, skinny pants.  On the mannequin—no lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment